Home / About
CampsAbroad exists to help ministries around the world establish camp programs that glorify God, build up believers, and reach people for Christ. We provide training and assistance to help national ministry leaders lay the foundations for effective camping ministries. Our involvement in each camp is temporary (we aren’t involved with the long-term operation of any camp) and we don’t financially support any camp, though we do provide training free of charge.
CampsAbroad is an official ministry of The Wilds Christian Association, Inc., in North Carolina, USA.
The camps we work with
CampsAbroad is willing to help camps in virtually any part of the world, and we can help start new camps or revitalize existing ones. We focus our time and resources on camps that we believe have the most potential to advance the cause of Christ, and who are dedicated to sound doctrine.
What we teach
Our ultimate goal is to equip leaders for long-term success in camp ministry, so we focus on things we believe are crucial to a healthy Christian camp:
- Starting with a biblical philosophy: Because we believe that there should be a Bible principle behind everything that is done in our ministries, The Wilds has sought to develop a biblical philosophy of camping that focuses on doing everything to the glory of God. Methods of camping may look different from country to country, but the biblical principles are unchanging. We seek to guide the leadership as they think through every aspect of camp biblically.
- Identifying and equipping workers: Without the right people, the philosophy of camp will not be carried out. CampsAbroad works with the leadership to choose workers carefully and then train them in a right philosophy of camping. We specialize in counselor training sessions, but are also able to advise about such areas as camp government, structure, job descriptions, etc.
- Developing a program: From game ideas to schedules, we are able to offer many program ideas and suggestions that have been tested and tried at The Wilds and other camps around the world. In some cases we can provide limited program equipment. Most importantly, we help camps develop a program that centers on the Word of God.
- Finding the right facilities: CampsAbroad is not involved in any direct financial assistance for the development of camp property, but we are able to use the experience of The Wilds staff to guide and advise in the development of camp facilities.
What training looks like
Though we tailor our assistance to the needs of each ministry, here are some ways we provide training and assistance for camps:
- Give step-by-step procedures for the development of a new camp
- Provide in-depth training for camp leaders and workers
- Send a staff member from The Wilds to direct a camp for one or more weeks
- Train a local camp director (preferably a resident of the country) on site
- Host camp leaders at The Wilds
- Provide materials for camper devotionals
- Provide game ideas and equipment
- Advise about property development
- Advise about camp problems and decisions through continued correspondence
- Consult with established camps on government issues, philosophy development, constitution development and fundraising
Here is what we won’t do:
- We cannot be involved long-term in the operation of any camp
- We do not want control of any camp
- We do not financially support any camp
- We do not ask to be given credit for services provided
- We are not seeking to make American camps in other countries
Since the founding of The Wilds in 1969, a number of missionaries and national pastors have asked for assistance in developing a camp program and philosophy. In 2000, The Wilds Board of Directors established CampsAbroad as a way to meet some of these needs. Specifically, our goal is to help local churches around the world evangelize the lost and build up believers through biblical, Christian camping.